Table of Contents
How to find the apartment of your dreams!
The apartment hunt can be a long and arduous process, but it doesn’t have to be! This blog post will help you find the apartment of your dreams in no time. Follow these eight steps to make the apartment hunting process easier for yourself.
1) Set Your Budget – It may seem like an obvious step, but how much money you want to spend is crucial when apartment hunting. Knowing how much money you are willing to put down for rent will help determine what kind of apartment building you should look at. For example, if you would rather live in a cheaper apartment building, then set your budget lower than what might be comfortable for others who have higher paychecks.
2) Make a List of Non-Negotiables – Remember that apartment hunting takes a lot of time. You will inevitably find an apartment with things wrong with it, but don’t be discouraged! Know what the deal-breakers are for you before apartment hunting so you can avoid them in your search. For example, if the apartment building is too far away from work, it’s not worth apartment hunting.
Know your must-haves
What are the must-haves for you? This list of non-negotiables can be used as a checklist when apartment hunting to ensure your apartment has everything necessary for you.
* The apartment building needs an onsite gym * The apartment building needs to be pet-friendly
* The apartment building must have a garage with free parking * You need access to the apartment 24/hr for emergencies.
If you want a place with more than one of these items, your budget and list should also reflect this. Remember: what may seem like an item on your apartment wish list can also be a non-negotiable.
See the apartment hunting checklist for more details on what to look out for.
Asking the right questions may mean knowing if the apartment building has a recycling program or how many free parking spots there are. Still, it’s essential to know these details before you sign anything!* Make a List of Questions – You must ask all your questions when apartment hunting; otherwise, how will you know if it is right for you? Don’t forget to bring your apartment wish list and non-negotiables for reference during your apartment hunt.
What should you ask on an apartment hunting walkthrough?
* Is the apartment building close to public transportation?
* Does the apartment unit have a dishwasher and air conditioning?
* What is your monthly water bill like at this apartment building?
All of these questions are important before signing any lease. Answer these on an apartment hunt walkthrough, and you will be well-informed.
More things to consider when looking for an apartment!
* Take Pictures, Observe Details – When apartment hunting, it’s essential to take pictures of any flaws that come up in conversation. Taking pictures will help you remember what needs fixing later when your lease is coming up for renewal or expiry. It’s also essential to document the apartment’s flaws with pictures so you can compare them when apartment hunting.
The apartment hunt is a long and arduous process, but it doesn’t have to be! Follow these steps to make the apartment search easier for yourself.
* Understand Lease – When apartment hunting, one of the most important things to understand is the apartment lease.
Some of the things you should look out for when reading your apartment’s lease are:
* What happens if I am late on my rent or have to move?
* Is there a security deposit needed, and how much does it cost? * Does this apartment building charge pet fees?
These are all critical aspects of an apartment lease that are often overlooked!
* Walk Around Area – When apartment hunting, walking around the building and the surrounding area is essential. The neighborhood you live in will affect a lot of your apartment’s quality of life, so make sure you walk around the area to see if it suits what you are looking for.
The apartment hunt is a long and arduous process that can find a suitable apartment for you. Follow these steps and go apartment hunting today!